Saturday 4 January 2014

Saturday 4th January: Eating Greens

Eating greens has never been a big issue for me. I either ate them or I refused to eat them, all depending on the 'green' of course. 

Something that still bemuses me if whether 'eating greens' refers to all vegetables or just green ones; are we supposed to leave out carrots or aubergines simply because they are not green? This expression is very much American and so I do not fully understand the concept. I assume the idea of 'eating greens' comes from the obvious, desperate need to eat five fruit and veg a day mixed with a condescending parental tone that suggests that eating greens will be fun.

Greens such as lettuce, broccoli and cabbage have always been some of my favourite vegetables. In primary school my favourite part of Wednesday's roast dinner hot lunch was the boiled cabbage, and stir-fry chili broccoli is one of my favourite dishes. I even love brussel sprouts (to be honest, I don't fully understand the fuss everyone makes about them...). But there are some little leafy, pathetic food that I can not abide: take spinach, or rocket lettuce, oh how I despise them. Rocket makes me feel like my mouth is slowly burning and spinach is such a strange texture, almost thick, that it takes a very long time to force down, and for what? An unsatisfied stomach. No thanks. 

I like vegetables, but in my own way please.

No comments:

Post a Comment